We are happy to share with you our lovely recipe for Bridal Slices – a deliciously old-fashioned traybake that was, in days gone by, served as a simple celebration cake at the wedding feast. It takes a little bit of time to prepare but we really think it’s worth it!
The recipe calls for Dean’s shortbread crumbs which we sell here in our gift shop in Huntly, however any plain biscuit or shortbread crumbs would work just as well.
- 200g Self Raising Flour
- 100g Butter (cold from the fridge)
- 15g Caster Sugar, 2-3tbsp Water
- 60g Butter (softened to room temperature)
- 115g Caster Sugar, 2 medium free range eggs
- 100g Dean’s Shortbread Crumbs
- 115g Glace Cherries (rinsed, dried and quartered)
- 225g Currants
- 1tsp Mixed Spice
- 2-3tbsp Apricot Jam, 225g Marzipan
- 1tbsp Whisky
- 225g Pre-made ready to roll icing
- Start by making the pastry – Place flour and cold butter in a food processor and whiz to form fine breadcrumbs, add the sugar followed by the water and whiz again until it all comes together. Alternatively, rub the butter into the flour, add the sugar & water and mix together, knead lightly. Chill pastry for about 30 minutes, then roll out thinly and use to line a 23cm x 32cm (approx) baking tray.
- Pre-heat the oven to 170degC. Cream together the softened butter & sugar until light and fluffy, then beat in the eggs one at a time. Fold in the shortbread crumbs, cherries, currants and mixed spice then spread over the pastry. Bake at 170 deg C for approx 45 minutes, until golden brown and firm to touch.
- Leave to cool completely before brushing over the top with the warmed apricot jam. Roll out the marzipan thinly and place on top of the cake pressing down gently to create a smooth finish – trim the edges. Brush the marzipan with the whisky then place over the thinly rolled icing smoothing gently over with a rolling pin to create an even finish – neatly trim the edges.
- Leave for a couple of hours or overnight before cutting into fingers – a really delicious treat to enjoy with a cup of tea!
Brighten up your February with our zesty, crumbly and totally delicious lemon crunch bars!…read more
Our delicious red onion marmalade goes perfectly with cheese & oatcakes as well as pate... read more