Gluten Free Pecan & Maple Layer Cake
Perfect for Mother’s day or any day, this cake is a real show stopper. It looks fantastic, tastes delicious and it’s gluten free – time to get baking!
- 110g pecans, toasted and finely ground in a food processor
- 230g rice flour
- 3 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 300g unsalted butter, softened
- 250g caster sugar
- 50g soft light brown sugar
- 4 medium eggs, at room temperature and lightly whisked together
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 200 mls plain yogurt
- 1 lemon, zested plus 1 tbsp juice
For the butter cream & to finish....
- 150g unsalted butter, softened
- 430g icing sugar
- 2 - 4 tbsp milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 90g pecans, toasted
- Edible gold lustre (optional)
Follow these steps
- Preheat the oven to 180degC/160degC fan. Grease and line three 20cm sandwich tins. Mix together the ground pecans, rice flour, baking powder and salt - set aside. In a separate bowl whisk together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Slowly add in the beaten egg along with the vanilla bean paste. It will look a little curdled at this stage but the dry ingredients will bring it back together.
- Add the dry mix along with half the yogurt and carefully fold in. Add the remaining yogurt along with the lemon zest and juice and mix well. Divide the mixture evenly between the three cake tins. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tins for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Remove the baking paper and leave to cool completely.
- To make the butter cream, beat the softened butter in a bowl until pale and creamy. Gently mix in half the icing sugar then beat well. Mix in the remaining icing sugar then beat for about two minutes until smooth and fluffy. Finally beat in two tablespoons of milk and the maple syrup. Add a little extra milk if required to create a soft consistency.
- To assemble the cake, place one cooled sponge on a cake plate or stand. Spread 1/3 of the butter cream over the cake then place another cooled sponge on top. Add more butter cream then repeat with the third sponge and a final layer of butter cream.
- Decorate with toasted pecans and gold lustre if using.
- Store in an airtight container for up to three days. Cuts into 12 slices.