Simple Strawberry & Chocolate Cake
With Father’s Day just around the corner, this simple chocolate cake would make the perfect homemade gift for any chocoholic dad! Decorate with fresh strawberries or other soft fruits in season.
- 100g dark chocolate
- 100g soft dark brown sugar
- 100g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- 100g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- a pinch of salt
- 50g natural yogurt
For the ganache topping:
- 100g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 100mls double cream
- strawberries or other soft fruit to finish
Follow these steps
- Grease and line a deep 18cm round cake tin. Pre-heat the oven to 200degC / 180degC fan
- In a heatproof bowl, melt the chocolate for the cake carefully in the microwave, or place over a pan of hot water until melted. Leave to one side.
- In a separate bowl beat together the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt together then add half to the creamed mixture and beat well. Add the yogurt and beat again, followed by the remaining flour mix. Stir through the melted chocolate until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin and level the top. Place in the pre-heated oven for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean, and the top doesn't wobble.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile make the ganache topping. Place the chopped chocolate into a mixing bowl, then heat the cream in a saucepan until it starts to simmer. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and leave for 5 minutes before whisking to form a smooth ganache. Place in the fridge to cool for 10 minutes.
- Place the cooled cake on a cake stand and spoon over the ganache, using the back of the spoon to create soft waves.
- Decorate with strawberries or other soft fruits before serving.
- Serves 8