Strawberry Crumb Tart
It’s the perfect time of year to enjoy locally grown strawberries, and if you’re looking for a slightly different dessert idea you might want to give our baked strawberry tart a try – it’s delicious!
- For the pastry:
- 225g plain flour
- 25g icing sugar
- 125g unsalted butter, cold & cubed
- 1 egg, beaten
For the filling & crumb topping:
- 500g strawberries, hulled & halved
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 65g caster sugar
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Zest of 1/2 a lemon
- Juice of half a lemon
- Crumb topping:
- 150g Dean's shortbread
- 35g ground almonds
- 35g melted butter
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
Follow these steps
- For the pastry, place the flour, icing sugar and butter into a food processor and blitz into fine crumbs. Add half the beaten egg and mix to form a soft dough, adding a little more egg if it feels dry. Tip the dough onto a piece of cling film and bring together with your hands. Wrap tightly and chill for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle another piece of cling film and a rolling pin with a little flour, then place the chilled pastry onto the floured cling film. Carefully roll into a circle around 3 to 4 mm thick. Pick up the pastry using the cling film and flip over onto a 23cm fluted tart tin - press carefully into the tin. Chill for 15 minutes.
- Prepare the strawberry filling by mixing all the filling ingredients together, leave to one side.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180degC/160degC. Remove the chilled pastry case from the fridge and trim the edges, line with a piece of baking paper and fill with baking beans, bake for 15 minutes. Remove the baking paper and beans then lightly brush the baked pastry with a little beaten egg, return to the oven for a further two minutes.
- Remove from the oven and gently tip the strawberry filling mixture into the baked pastry case, return to the oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the crumb topping by placing the shortbread into a plastic bag and crushing with a rolling pin. Tip the crumbs into a bowl and mix with the rest of the topping ingredients. Remove the tart from the oven and sprinkle over the crumb topping - finish in the oven for a further 15-20 minutes or until bubbling and golden.
- Allow the tart to cool in the tin then transfer to a serving plate. Serve in wedges with a little creme fraiche or ice cream on the side.
- Serves 8