Caramelised Red Onion & Cheddar Tart
A delicious savoury tart to enjoy warm from the oven or served cold with a salad.
- For the pastry:
- 225g plain flour
- 125g cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 medium egg, beaten
For the filling:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions, peeled & finely sliced
- 3 medium eggs
- 200mls milk
- 100g mature cheddar, grated
- salt & pepper
Follow these steps
- For the pastry, place the flour and butter in a food processor and blitz into fine crumbs. Add half the beaten egg and mix to form a soft dough, add a little more egg if required. Keep any remaining egg for later. Wrap the pastry in cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry on a floured surface until about 3-4mm thick. Use to line a 23cm fluted tart tin pressing carefully into the tin. Leave the edges untrimmed and chill for a further 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the caramelised onions. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the onions and cook for 10-15 minutes until soft and deep golden in colour. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk the eggs and milk together, add half the grated cheese and season with salt and pepper. Set to one side.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180degC/160degC fan. Remove the chilled pastry case from the fridge and trim the edges. Line with a piece of baking powder and fill with baking beans, then bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Carefully remove the baking paper and beans then lightly brush the pastry with the remaining beaten egg. Return to the oven for a further two minutes.
- Take the baked pastry case from the oven and scatter half the onions over the base. Pour over the egg mixture then top with the remaining onion and cheese.
- Return to the oven and bake for 40 to 45 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool slightly in the tin before transferring to a serving plate.
- Cut into wedges to serve.
- Serves 6 - 8
[shareaholic app="share_buttons" id="24709883"]