Caramelised Red Onion Marmalade
Our delicious red onion marmalade goes perfectly with cheese & oatcakes as well as pate and roast meats.
- 500g red onions, peeled & thinly sliced
- 500g white onions, peeled & thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled & crushed
- 75g butter
- 200g demerara sugar
- 1 sprig fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 bay leaf
- 300mls red wine
- 100mls port
- 200mls red wine vinegar
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Follow these steps
- Melt the butter in a large heavy based saucepan, add the sliced onions and garlic and fry gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the demerara sugar, thyme and bay leaf to the pan and stir well. Turn the heat down, cover with a lid and leave to cook slowly for around 20 minutes, or until soft.
- Remove the lid and continue to simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated - stir from time to time to prevent sticking. The onions will be completely soft & caramelised.
- Add the red wine, port and red wine vinegar to the pan - again, continue to cook gently with the lid off to allow excess liquid to evaporate.
- Remove the thyme sprig and bayleaf, stir in the vanilla extract and season well. Leave to cool slightly.
- Spoon into sterilised jars, cover and store in the fridge.
- Return to room temperature before serving.