Carrot & Pecan Cake
A perfect cake to bake & enjoy during the Easter holiday, serve in generous slices with an afternoon cup of tea.
- 225g soft light brown sugar
- 250mls sunflower oil
- 4 medium eggs
- 200g carrots, peeled & grated
- 300g self raising flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 70g pecans, toasted & chopped
For the icing:
- 75g unsalted butter, softened
- 120g full fat cream cheese
- 420g icing sugar, sifted
- 30g pecans, toasted & chopped
Follow these steps
- Preheat the oven to 180degC/160degC fan then grease and base line two 20cm round cake tins with baking paper
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil and eggs until the mixture thickens slightly and is pale in colour. Add the grated carrots and mix well.
- Fold the flour, spices and chopped pecans into the mix then divide evenly between the two prepared cake tins. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle of each cake comes out clean.
- Leave the cakes to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the icing beat the butter and cream cheese together for about a minute until creamy. Beat in the icing sugar in two stages to form a smooth icing. Sandwich the two cakes together with half the icing, then spread the remaining icing on top. Scatter the chopped pecans around the edge of the cake to finish.
[shareaholic app="share_buttons" id="24709883"]