Chocolate Beetroot Fudge Cake
This soft & fudgy chocolate cake is just the treat you need this weekend!
- For the cake:
- 100g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 125g unsalted butter, cubed
- 250g plain flour
- 250g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 100g plain yogurt
- 1 egg
- 200g cooked beetroot (not pickled)
- 150mls boiling water
For the ganache:
- 200mls fresh double cream
- 200g dark chocolate, finely chopped
Follow these steps
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan. Oil two 20cm sandwich tins and line with baking paper. Place the butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl suspended over a pan of simmering water and gently melt together.
- In a large bowl, sieve together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt then set to one side.
- Place the yogurt, egg and beetroot into a food processor or blender and whizz until smooth. Add this to the dry mix along with the melted butter & chocolate. Add 150mls of freshly boiled water and mix well to combine
- Divide the mixture evenly between the two prepared tins then bake in the pre-heated oven for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of each cake comes out clean.
- Cool the cakes in the tins for 10 minutes before gently turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the ganache, place the chopped chocolate into a mixing bowl then heat the cream in a saucepan until it starts to simmer. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and leave to melt for 5 minutes before whisking to form a smooth ganache. Place in the fridge to cool for 10 minutes until thickened and spreadable.
- Place one of the cooled cakes upside down on a cake plate or stand, then spread over half the ganache. Place the second cake on top and spread with the remaining ganache, creating swirls with the back of a spoon to finish.
- Cuts into 12 slices.
[shareaholic app="share_buttons" id="24709883"]