Chocolate Mascarpone Cherry Cake
To celebrate the start of summer we’re sharing a heavenly cake recipe courtesy of our colleague here at Dean’s, Snieguole Bertasiute.
Snieguole hails from Lithuania, and completely spoils us in the office at Dean’s with her fabulous cakes – she’s truly a star baker!
This recipe is a particular favourite of ours combining chocolate, cherries & cream – perfect for a summer birthday cake.
- For the sponge cake:
- 6 medium free range eggs
- 200g caster sugar
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 50 mls sunflower oil
- 6 tbsp plain flour
- For the cherry filling:
- 400g frozen cherries (check for any stones)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp cornflour
- For the mascarpone cream filling:
- 600 mls whipping cream
- 250g mascarpone cheese
- 100g caster sugar
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- For the chocolate glaze to finish:
- 200g dark chocolate broken into pieces
- 3 tbsp whipping cream
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
Follow these steps
- Pre-heat the oven to 180degC, and oil and base line two 20cm (8 inch) cake tins with baking parchment.
- To make the sponge, whisk the eggs until they form soft peaks, then gradually add in the sugar beating continuously until the mix is firm and glossy. Fold in the cocoa powder, oil, flour and baking powder to form a smooth batter. Divide evenly between the two prepared tins and bake in the pre-heated oven for 15 - 20 minutes or until firm to touch.
- Allow to cool in the tins for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Remove the baking paper and leave to cool completely.
- To make the cherry filling place the cherries in a saucepan with the sugar and heat gently. Remove about 1/4 cup of the cherry juice from the pan and mix with the cornflour, add back to the pan and stirring well, bring to a gentle simmer. Cook gently for about 3 minutes or until thickened, then leave to cool completely.
- Prepare the mascarpone cream by whisking the whipping cream, sugar, mascarpone cheese and lemon juice together.
- To assemble the cake - using a serrated knife split each cake in half to make 4 sponge rounds. Place 1 round on a serving plate and top with a layer of mascarpone cream followed by a layer of the cherry filling. Add another sponge round followed by layers of mascarpone cream and cherry filling and continue until all four rounds are added - top the fourth sponge round with a layer of mascarpone cream. Place the cake in the fridge to set while you make the chocolate glaze.
- Place the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of barely simmering water (make sure the bowl doesn't touch the water). Stir the chocolate from time to time until melted. Stir in the oil and whipping cream and mix well. Remove the bowl from the pan and leave to one side for at least 10 minutes or until the glaze has thickened slightly.
- Remove the chilled cake from the fridge and pour over the glaze - return to the fridge to set completely, ideally overnight.
- Decorate as you wish before serving.
- Serves at least 12.