Our recipe for May is a very traditional Scottish fish soup, which has its origins in the small town of Cullen on the Moray coast, not far from here. Made with smoked haddock, potato & cream, it’s delicious served with oatcakes or crusty bread.
- 25g butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 280g potatoes, peeled and chopped into small cubes
- 250mls milk
- 200g smoked haddock, skin & bones removed
- 100mls fresh double cream
- a few chives finely chopped, plus extra for garnish
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Follow these steps
- Melt the butter in a large pan, add the chopped onion and cook gently for 5-10 minutes or until soft - take care not to brown the onion.
- Add the cubed potatoes and continue to cook gently for a further 5-10 minutes.
- Add the milk to the pan and bring to a gentle simmer - cover and leave to cook for 10 minutes.
- Break the haddock into large pieces and place into the simmering liquid - cover and cook for further few minutes, until the haddock is just cooked through.
- Finally, add the cream and chives to the pan and stir through - gently bring back to simmering point.
- Check the seasoning before serving in warmed bowls with extra chives to finish, and oatcakes or bread on the side.