Lemon & Poppy Seed Loaf Cake
This twist on a classic lemon drizzle cake makes a delicious Mother’s day treat
- 225g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 225g caster sugar
- 2 lemons, zested
- 4 eggs
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 225g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
For the syrup:
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 30g caster sugar
- For the glaze:
- 125g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp water
- Poppy seeds, lemon zest & lemon slices to finish
Follow these steps
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 160C fan and line a 2 lb loaf tin
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, sugar and lemon zest for around 5 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and the lemon juice until well incorporated into the batter. The mix may look a little curdled, but it will come back together.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and poppy seeds then fold in the egg mix. Mix well, then pour into the prepared loaf tin. Smooth the top then place in the pre-heated oven for 50-60 minutes until golden and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Leave the cake to cool while you make the lemon syrup. Place the lemon juice and caster sugar in a small saucepan and heat until the sugar has dissolved. Strain and set to one side.
- While the cake is still warm poke holes across the top of the cake using a skewer or cocktail stick. Evenly spoon over the lemon syrup, then leave to cool for 10 minutes before removing from the tin an leaving on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place the cooled cake on a serving board or plate. Whisk together the icing sugar, lemon juice and water to form a smooth icing. Drizzle over the top of the cake, letting it drip down the sides. Decorate with lemon zest, poppy seeds and lemon slices.
- Cut into thick slices to serve
- Serves 10.