Maple Glazed Cinnamon Buns
Sweet & spicy cinnamon buns, a delicious treat for autumn!
- 200 mls milk
- 60g unsalted butter
- 450g strong white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tsp salt
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 sachet fast action yeast
- 3 free range egg yolks
Filling & topping
- 100g soft light brown sugar
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 50g unsalted butter, melted
- 120g icing sugar
- 3 tsp maple syrup
Follow these steps
- Gently melt together the milk and butter in a bowl in the microwave, or on the hob in a small saucepan. Set to one side to cool.
- Mix together the flour, salt and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer or large mixing bowl. Once the melted butter & milk mixture has cooled, whisk in the yeast followed by the egg yolks. Pour into the dry ingredients and bring together using the dough hook if using a stand mixer. Once the dough has come together, knead for 20 minutes using the dough hook, or by hand on a floured surface. Cover the dough in the bowl with a tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Grease 2 x 20cm square tins, or 2 x 20cm round springform cake pans with butter, then set to one side. Turn the risen dough onto a floured surface and roll out to a rectangle roughly 35cm long x 25cm wide.
- In a small bowl, whisk the light brown sugar & cinnamon together. Brush most of the melted butter onto the dough and evenly sprinkle over the brown sugar & cinnamon mix. Tightly roll up the dough lengthways then brush the outside with the remaining melted butter. Carefully cut into 12 even slices then arrange together in the prepared tins, leaving a little space between each slice to allow the buns to spread.
- Cover the tins with a tea towel and leave in a warm place for a further 30 minutes to prove. Preheat the oven to 220degC / 200degC fan.
- Bake the buns for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown on top. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tins.
- To make the maple icing, whisk together the icing sugar & maple syrup with 3-4 teaspoons of water to make a runny glaze. Drizzle over the top of the buns then serve once the icing has set.
- Makes 12 buns.