Orange Marmalade Loaf
This is a very simple recipe for a very tasty loaf cake. Use good quality marmalade for best results, home made is ideal if you have some.
Serve just as it is, or spread with a little butter.
- 175g self raising flour
- 115g butter
- pinch of salt
- 85g sultanas
- 85g soft brown sugar
- 2 medium free range eggs, beaten
- 150g orange marmalade, plus 2 tablespoons extra for the glaze
Follow these steps
- Pre-heat oven to 160degC. Line a 2lb loaf tin with baking parchment.
- Rub the flour, butter and salt together until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, then stir in the sultanas and sugar. Pour in the beaten eggs and mix well.
- Spoon one third of the mixture into the lined loaf tin then spread over half the marmalade. Top this with another third of the cake mixture then the other half of the marmalade. Finish with the remaining third of the cake mixture, smoothing over the top.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 1 hour or until golden brown and firm to touch. Leave to cool slightly in the tin before turning onto a wire rack.
- Warm the extra 2 tablespoons of marmalade and brush over the cake while still warm.
- Leave to cool completely then cut into slices to serve.