Spiced Butternut Squash & Coconut Soup
We often serve this delicious soup in Dean’s Café Bistro and it’s always a hit! If you like an extra kick of chilli, try serving with a few Dean’s Cheese Oat Nibbles & Chilli on the side.
- 1 large butternut squash
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 500mls hot vegetable stock
- 50g sachet creamed coconut
- 1/2 tsp hot chilli powder
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- To serve (optional):
- a little creme fraiche & chopped coriander leaf
- Dean's Cheese Oat Nibbles & Chilli
- Pre-heat the oven to 200degC. Cut the butternut squash in half lengthways, scoop out the seeds and discard. Place the two halves cut side up on a baking sheet. Brush with a little olive oil and place in the pre-heated oven for around 25 minutes or until tender. Remove from the oven and leave until cool enough to handle. Scoop out the flesh and roughly chop - discard the skins.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large pan. Add the chopped onions and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add the cooked & chopped butternut squash and chilli powder. Continue to cook, stirring, for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the hot vegetable stock to the pan, season wth salt & pepper. Cover with a lid and simmer for about 15 minutes. Add the creamed coconut and stir through until melted. Liquidise the soup in batches, or blend to a smooth consistency using a stick blender.
- If the soup is too thick, add a little more stock. Check the seasoning. Ladle into warmed bowls and garnish with a swirl of creme fraiche and a little chopped coriander leaf.
- Serve with Dean's Cheese Oat Nibbles & Chilli
- Serves 4