Three Cheese Scones
We’ve used a mix of three of our favourite cheeses in this scone recipe, but you can use a mix of any cheeses you wish – just make sure you include at least one strong flavoured variety.
Delicious served fresh from the oven with butter.
- 225g self raising flour
- 50g butter
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- good pinch of salt
- good pinch of black pepper
- 130g grated cheese (we used a mix of mature Scottish cheddar, Jarlsberg & Parmesan)
- 1 large free range egg, beaten
- 100mls milk (approx)
Follow these steps
- Pre-heat the oven to 220degC. Sieve the flour into a large bowl, add the butter. Rub together until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the mustard powder, baking powder, salt and black pepper followed by the grated cheese.
- Gently mix in the beaten egg followed by sufficient milk to make a soft but not too sticky dough - take care not to overmix at this stage or the baked scones will have a tough texture.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and roll out to around 2-3 cm thickness. Cut into rounds and place on a baking sheet - gather up the dough scraps and roll & cut again until all the dough is used.
- Place in the hot oven for around 10 minutes or until well risen and golden brown. Remove to a wire rack and cool slightly before serving.
- Makes around 8 small scones.