Toffee Apple & Pecan Crumble
Comfort food is what we all crave in January when things seem just a little cold, grey and dismal! Cheer yourself up with one of our favourite crumble recipes, combining slices of toffee apple with a crumbly, nutty topping.
- 4 large Bramley apples - peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 75g butter
- 75g light muscovado sugar
- 1 tablespoon double cream
For the crumble topping:
- 150g Dean's Shortbread, made into fine crumbs
- 50g butter
- 50g pecan nuts, chopped
- To serve:
- Whipped double cream
- A little grated nutmeg
Follow these steps
- Place the light muscovado sugar and butter into a small saucepan along with the tablespoon of double cream - melt over a low heat. Bring gently to the boil and simmer for three minutes until you have a smooth toffee sauce. Remove from the heat.
- Pre-heat the oven to 170degC. Place the prepared apples into an ovenproof dish, pour over the toffee sauce.
- Prepare the crumble topping by melting the butter in a saucepan. Add in the shortbread crumbs along with the chopped pecans and stir well. Scatter the crumble mixture evenly over the toffee apples and place in the pre-heated oven for 35-40 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbling.
- Serve warm with a spoonful of double cream and a dusting of grated nutmeg.