Transforming the classic American fireside treat into a showstopping dessert for Bonfire Night, these fudgey brownies are packed with crushed biscuits, chocolate chips and topped with toasted marshmallows. Add a couple of sparklers and sprinkle over popping candy to ensure your party goes off with a bang.
Make 12 S’mores Brownies
- 150g unsalted butter
- 200g 70% dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- A pinch of sea salt
- 100g caster sugar
- 75g soft light brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 75g plain flour
- 100g milk chocolate chips
- 130g malted milks
- 25g mini marshmallows, plus extra for serving
- Popping candy and sparklers to serve
Follow these steps
- Preheat the oven to 160oc/140oc fan and grease and line a 20cm by 20cm square tin with a sheet of baking parchment and a little butter. Make sure the edges of the paper are slightly flush with the top of the tin to make the brownies are easy to lift out once baked. Place a saucepan with around an inch of boiling water onto a medium heat and add the butter, chocolate and salt to a large heatproof bowl. Place the bowl on top of the saucepan, taking care not to let it touch the water, and stir until the butter and chocolate have melted together. Carefully lift the bowl off the saucepan and leave the mix to cool for a few moments.
- Whisk together the caster and brown sugars in a separate bowl then add to the melted chocolate, whisking until combined. Add the eggs one by one, whisking to incorporate then mix in the flour. Fold in the chocolate chips and 80g of the malted milks, broken into small pieces. Pour into the prepared tin and press the reserved malted milks on top, breaking some in half and others into quarters. Bake for around 25 to 30 minutes until a skewer inserted in the middle is mostly clean - this will ensure the brownies stay fudgey - before removing the brownies from the oven.
- Turn the oven to the grill setting and scatter the mini marshmallows over the brownies. Return to the oven and grill for around 1 to 2 minutes, keeping an eye on the marshmallows until they are golden and puffy. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for five minutes before lifting the brownies out of the tin and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cool, cut into 12 squares and scatter over more mini marshmallows and the popping candy before adding food-safe sparklers when you are ready to serve. The brownies can be stored for up to 5 days in an airtight container without the popping candy.