Dark Chocolate Strawberry Creams
These easy homemade sweets make the perfect treat for surprising your loved one on Valentine’s day. Cut into small rounds or heart shapes and get creative with colourful sprinkles before nestling in a box all tied up with ribbon!
- 250g icing sugar, plus extra to dust
- 1 egg white
- 2-3 drops strawberry flavouring
- 2-3 drops pink gel food colouring
- 50g dark chocolate
- 1 tsp coconut oil (optional)
- Freeze dried strawberry pieces or pink sprinkles to decorate
- Sift the icing sugar into a large bowl, then using a fork, lightly beat the egg white in a separate bowl until slightly frothy. Add the egg white to the icing sugar a bit at a time until you have a soft and malleable dough.
- Work in the strawberry flavouring to taste, followed by the pink food colouring until you achieve your desired colour.
- If the dough becomes a little sticky add a bit more icing sugar.
- Dust a clean work surface with a little extra icing sugar, then roll out the fondant with a rolling pin to around 6-8mm thickness. Cut into desired shapes and place on a tray lined with greaseproof paper. Gather up the scraps and roll and cut again until you have used up all the fondant. Cover the tray with clingfilm and chill overnight.
- Next day, melt the dark chocolate and coconut oil (if using) in a bowl over a pan of barely simmering water - take care not to let the bowl touch the water. Once melted set aside to cool a little before dipping, spreading or drizzling the chocolate over each cream. Place back on the greaseproof paper before decorating with freeze dried strawberry pieces or sprinkles. Return to the fridge to set completely before gift wrapping.
- Can be stored in an airtight container for up to one week. Makes around 20 strawberry creams.
- *Cook's note - adding a little coconut oil to the melted chocolate gives it a nice snap once set, however it also works well without it.