Perfect for Halloween, our treacle scones are simple to make & totally delicious. Try our version of a ‘thunder & lightning’ served with clotted cream and black treacle – find out more in our demo video!
- 200g self raising flour
- 50g butter (at room temperature)
- 25g caster sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 60g black treacle
- 125mls milk
Follow these steps
- Pre-heat the oven to 200degC. Sift the flour, sugar and salt into a bowl. Add the butter and using your fingers, rub the butter into the flour until evenly distributed and the mix looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the spices and baking powder. Mix the black treacle and milk together in a measuring jug.
- Pour most of the milk & treacle mixture into the dry mix and stir through - add the rest of the liquid if required. You want a nice soft dough but not too wet or sticky. Leave the dough to rest for a few minutes at this stage to absorb the liquid thoroughly, this will make it a lot easier to handle.
- Flour your work surface well, then tip out the rested dough. Flour your hands before gently shaping the dough into an even round - using a floured rolling pin roll out the dough to a 2-3cm thickness.
- Cut into small fluted rounds and place on a baking tray. Gather up the dough scraps and roll & cut into more rounds - continue until all the dough is used.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 10-12 minutes or until well risen and dark golden brown.
- Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool covered with a clean tea towel.
- Serve while still slightly warm spread with a little butter. Or leave to cool completely and try our version of a 'thunder & lightning'.............
- Spoon some thick clotted cream into a split scone and drizzle over a little black treacle - dust with a little icing sugar before serving.