Lemon Crunch Bars
Brighten up your February with our zesty, crumbly and totally delicious lemon crunch bars!
- 250g Dean's Shortbread, made into fine crumbs
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 90g soft dark brown sugar
- 75g self raising flour
- 100g butter
For the filling:
- Finely grated zest of 2 lemons, plus the juice (pressed through a sieve to remove 'bits')
- 1 can (397g) Nestlé condensed milk
Follow these steps
- Line a deep 28 x 18cm baking tin with baking parchment. Pre-heat the oven to 150degC
- Melt both the sugars with the butter in a medium pan. Add the flour and mix well, followed by the shortbread crumbs. Place 2/3 of the crumb mix into the prepared tin and press down to form an even base layer.
- Prepare the filling by placing the condensed milk in a mixing bowl - add the lemon zest and sieved juice and mix well. (The addition of lemon to condensed milk will cause it to thicken)
- Pour the lemon mixture evenly over the prepared base. Sprinkle the remaining crumb mix over the top and use a fork to create an even, crumble finish.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for around 35 minutes. Leave to cool completely before cutting into small bars.
[shareaholic app="share_buttons" id="24709883"]