Lemon Iced Buns
These luscious & lemony iced buns are sweet, zesty & delicious!
- 250g plain flour
- 250g strong white bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 200mls whole milk
- 50g unsalted butter
- 65g golden syrup
- 1 sachet fast action dried yeast
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- zest of 1 lemon
For the icing:
- 200g icing sugar
- 2 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
Follow these steps
- Mix the two flours together in a large bowl and set aside. Pour the milk into a heatproof jug along with the butter and golden syrup and microwave on medium setting for 30 seconds bursts until melted. Leave to cool until just warm.
- Mix the sachet of yeast with two tablespoons of tepid water then add to the cooled milk mixture along with the two beaten eggs. Pour into the flour and add the lemon zest.
- Bring the dough together with your hands then knead for 10 minutes on a floured surface to form a smooth dough. Alternatively use an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook and knead for 5-8 minutes.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with cling film. Leave in a warm place for around one hour or until doubled in size
- Line a large baking sheet with baking parchment. Turn the risen dough onto a floured surface and divide equally into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a sausage shape about 10cm long. Place onto the baking sheet and cover again with cling film for a further hour until puffy and almost touching. Pre-heat the oven to 200degC/180degC fan.
- Remove the cling film and place the buns in the pre-heated oven for 12-15 minutes until golden. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack.
- Once cooled, gently break the buns apart as they will have joined together whilst baking.
- Make the icing by mixing the icing sugar and lemon juice together. Dip each bun into the icing top side down, letting the excess drip back into the bowl. Leave to set.
- The buns will keep for around 2 days in an airtight container