Blueberry Pie Squares
Make the most of the berry season with these zesty blueberry pie squares, perfect to enjoy on a picnic.
- For the crust:
- 250g plain flour
- 150g caster sugar
- 165g chilled butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the filling:
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 110g sour cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla paste
- 60g flour
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 150g fresh blueberries
Follow these steps
- Preheat the oven to 180degC/160degC fan. Oil and line a 20cm square baking tin with baking paper.
- To make the pie crust, stir together the flour, sugar & salt in a medium mixing bowl. Rub in the chilled butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs and can be pressed together to form a dough.
- Reserving roughly a handful of the crumb mix, press the remainder into the bottom of the prepared tin in an even layer, then bake for 12 minutes approx. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- While the pie crust is baking, prepare the filling. In a mixing bowl whisk together the sugar, eggs and sour cream until well combined. Whisk in the vanilla paste and lemon zest.
- Add the flour and cornflour and whisk thoroughly to form a smooth mixture.
- Pour the filling into the baked pie crust then add the blueberries in an even layer. Sprinkle over the remaining handful of crumb mix, then bake in the pre-heated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until the filling is set.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature before cutting into 9 squares. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days.