Festive Chocolate Orange Cake
Searching for the perfect dessert to impress your guests this Christmas? How about our very special chocolate orange cake – rich & delicious, the perfect finish to your festive feast.
- 175g unsalted butter, softened
- 175g plain flour
- 175g caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 30g cocoa powder
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 2 tsp Cointreau (or other orange liqueur)
- 150mls soured cream
For the chocolate ganache:
- 75g unsalted butter, softened
- 200g orange flavoured dark chocolate (we used Green & Black's Maya Gold)
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 130mls soured cream
- 2 tsp Cointreau
- 275g icing sugar, sieved
- 1 small orange Aero bar
Follow these steps
- Pre-heat the oven to 180degC. Lightly oil and base line two 20cm sandwich tins
- Cream together the softened butter with the caster sugar and Cointreau, until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and soured cream followed by the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and cocoa powder - mix to form a smooth, thick batter.
- Divide the mixture equally between the two prepared tins and bake for 30-35 minutes or until springy on the top surface when lightly pressed.
- Leave to cool in the tins for about 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the ganache icing -
- melt the butter and 150g of the chocolate - leave to cool for a few minutes before adding the golden syrup, Cointreau and soured cream - mix well.
- Add the icing sugar and mix until smooth and glossy.
- Use about 3/4 of the ganache icing to sandwich the two cakes together and to cover smoothly the top & sides.
- Finely grate the orange Aero and sprinkle evenly over the top surface of the cake.
- Melt the remaining 50g of chocolate and use to drizzle over the top of the cake, then finish by piping swirls of the remaining ganache icing around the outer edge.
- Add a final decorative touch with the addition of some delicate chocolate shapes.