Dolly Mixture Fudge Squares
Does anyone remember dolly mixtures…? Those tiny, brightly coloured fondant sweets from childhood days? We’ve given them a bit of a revival in our Dolly Mixture Fudge Squares recipe, ideal for a baking session with the kids during the Easter break. Go on, give it a try!
- 200g Dean's shortbread, crushed into crumbs
- 175g caster sugar
- 125g butter
- 1 x 397g can Nestle condensed milk
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 120g dolly mixtures
- 150g white chocolate
- Coloured sugar strands or sprinkles to finish
Follow these steps
- Line an 18 x 32cm baking tin with baking parchment
- Place the butter, sugar, syrup and condensed milk into a heavy based saucepan. Melt over a low heat. Once melted, bring to simmering point and continue to cook for 6 minutes, stirring all the time.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the shortbread crumbs. Pour into the prepared tin, spread out evenly then leave to cool slightly. While still warm, scatter over the dolly mixtures and press down into the fudge mixture. Smooth over the top with the back of a spatula.
- Melt the white chocolate then spread evenly over the top - finish with a sprinkling of coloured sugar strands.
- Place in the fridge to chill completely before cutting into small squares.